“The book is beautifully written, funny and poignant, and very different from any I have previously read by the versatile Peter May”
The decision of five teenage boys to leave their homes in Glasgow in 1965 and head for London is led by Jack Mackay when he is expelled from school. His friends need little incentive to run away from abusive families and dead end jobs to pursue fame and fortune as a band. However, the boys find the reality to be devastatingly different from their dreams, and within less than eight weeks of their departure, just three of them return home, their lives irrevocably damaged.
Fifty years later, in 2015, a brutal murder takes place in London and the three men, who are now in their sixties, are forced to return to the city to confront the demons which have haunted them and blighted their lives for five decades.
Runaway is a gripping crime novel spanning two cities and half a century. This extraordinary work by Peter May explores how aspirations and expectations shape us, and the pivotal yet changeable role that friendships play in our lives.
Read more about the “story behind the story” on Peter’s blog, where he reveals how the inspiration for RUNAWAY came from his own experiences…
RUNAWAY TOUR – January 2015
Most events are free, some events charge for entry because of the administration costs of the venue.
Please check and book tickets in advance, even for the free events, to avoid disappointment.
- GLASGOW – Monday 19th January, 1pm. Mitchell Library (Lunchtime Event) click here for more information
- GLASGOW – Monday 19th January, afternoon (time variable). Waterstones Sauchiehall Street (stock signing) Telephone 0141 332 9105 for more information
- NEWTON MEARNS – Monday 19th January, 7pm. Primavera Bistro. Telephone 0141 616 3933 or click here for more information
- INVERNESS – Tuesday 20th January, 3.30 – 4pm. WH Smiths, High St. Telephone 01463 233885 for more information
- INVERNESS – Tuesday 20th January, 7pm. The Iron Works, Academy Street. click here for more information
- PERTH – Wednesday 21st January, 1pm – 2pm. Waterstones, St John’s Centre (signing) Telephone 01738 630013 or click here for more information
- PERTH – Wednesday 21st January, 3pm. WH Smiths, High St. (stock signing) Telephone 01738 621425 for more information
- DUNDEE – Wednesday 21st January, 6.30pm. Steps Theatre, The Wellgate. click here for more information
- EDINBURGH – Thursday 22nd January, 11.15am. Waterstones, George St (stock signing) Telephone 0131 225 3436 for more information
- EDINBURGH – Thursday 22nd January, 12.30pm to 1.30pm. WH Smiths, Gyle Shopping Centre (formal signing) Telephone 0131 339 8855 for more information
- EDINBURGH – Thursday 22nd January, 7pm. Edinburgh Central Library, George IV Bridge. (Peter May in conversation with Jackie McGlone) click here for more information
- EDINBURGH – Friday 23rd January, Noon. Blackwells, South Bridge. (stock signing) Telephone 0131 622 8222 for more information
- LONDON – Tuesday 27th January, 6.30pm. Waterstones Piccadilly. (Talk and signing) click here for more information