Dagger in the Library

Peter May wins the Dagger in the Library 2021
CWA Dagger in the Library

I attended the strangest of award ceremonies last week.

From the isolation of my study in my home in France, I was part of a Zoom conference for the UK Crime Writers’ Association’s Dagger Awards. Several hundred people from around the world were in attendance, but instead of gathering with the great and good of crime writing in tuxedo and black tie at one of London’s classiest venues, I was in my shorts, at my desk, accompanied by my wife Janice and my dog Daftie!

I had been shortlisted for the Dagger in the Library. This award recognises the popularity of an author’s body of work with readers and users of libraries. The judges committee is made up of librarians from across the country.

When master of ceremonies Barry Forshaw announced the winner, he quoted Sue Wilkinson, the chair of the 2021 committee who said: ‘Peter May infuses his books with a real sense of place, whether it be China, France or the Hebrides.  His books are tense, atmospheric and complex but always utterly absorbing.’

This is a very special prize to win as it is for all my various books and series, and an endorsement from the readers, users and keepers of the UK library system.

I know how important libraries were to me from the very earliest of ages. Long may they continue to provide a free and essential service to readers young and old.

“Cheers!” A glass of bubbly to celebrate winning the Dagger in the Library!
Daftie the dog is not impressed that the award ceremony is delaying his evening walk!

And in other news…

The Night Gate will be available in paperback from August 2021. In case you missed the story behind the writing of the book, here’s a video I made explaining it…

About Author Peter May

International best-selling author of several series of books: the Lewis Trilogy - "The Blackhouse", "The Lewis Man" and "The Chessmen" - The Enzo Files and the China Thrillers, as well as standalone novels including "Entry Island", "Runaway" and "Coffin Road".
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Dagger in the Library

1. Joan Brennan says:

Congratulations Peter! A well deserved award. I have so enjoyed all your books, hooked on each of each series. Looking forward to the new Enzo.

2. Many congratulations – so well-deserved! I couldn’t have put it better myself: I feel I am in the places you describe, every time. I also know that nothing else will get done the minute I begin one of your books. Can’t wait for the next one!

3. Catherine Kingham says:

Congratulations Peter! I have thoroughly enjoyed all your books & the dedication you put into researching the locations etc. Can’t wait to read The Night Gate! Continues, Bonne chance et restez en securite!
    Meilleures salutations! Catherine

4. Kate Lockwood says:

Brilliant and VERY well deserved Peter!

Living close to Cahors myself I am a completely addicted to your books, I especially love those based around here as it is so great to wander around people watching and wondering if they might end up in the next book, but I have thoroughly enjoyed all your books and I want to thank you for your brilliant writing.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kate Lockwood Msc Animal Manipulation, B.Ost Med Tel: +33 (0) 6 02 71 03 45 Facebook: Kate Lockwood Equi Lot

5. woollygael says:

Congratulations. Love your books.

6. Ken Savage says:

Congratulations on your award! I love your books, especially the black house series. Just finished A Silent Death which was also outstanding. Please keep writing.

7. Macgregor Hay says:

Congratulations! Now get back to writing…your fans are waiting for your next masterpiece!

8. Caroline Riou says:

So well deserved !!! I have listened to all your books now & enjoyed all immensely. The Lewis Trilogy were outstanding.

9. Sally Horton says:

What fun! And I love your dog’s name. 🤣

10. Jim says:

Well deserved I just wish you could write 2 books a year, but then again they would become pot boilers. I will just be patient and wait
    Again, well done

11. Terry Rae says:

Well done Peter,congratulations. I have been “hooked” since stumbling upon “The Blackhouse” some years ago.I enjoy your writing style & the ability to interweave bits of history into many of your stories.Good to see that Enzo is “back in the saddle”. Best wishes & keep up the good work

12. David Carnegie says:

Hi Peter

Just wanted to congratulate you on “The Night Gate”. I really enjoyed it as it provided wonderful descriptions of the area in France that I love the most as well as characters that seemed so real.

I have enjoyed all your books and especially like the descriptions of areas in your books of both Scotland and France, since they bring back memories as we are now living in Melbourne, and haven’t been able to get back to our Scottish homeland for a while,

Also thought you might like know that my father in law is Russell Galbraith, who I understand you know from your days at STV. Russell is well and splits his time between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Anyway, I look forward as ever, to your next book.

David Carnegie

13. Derek Reid says:

Congratulations, Peter: richly deserved!